GLBA (aka “Glibba”)
- A law requiring banks and financial institutions to safeguard consumers’ confidential information.
- ALL confidential documents must be shredded prior to disposal.
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
- A US law designed to provide privacy standards to protect patients’ medical records.
- This law applies to all health care providers, health care plans and health care clearinghouses.
Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act
- A US law designed to protect people from identity theft.
- FACTA’s disposal rule makes shredding an important part of protecting identity theft.
National Association of Information Destruction
- Helps businesses verify that a potential shredding and destruction vendor meets strict information disposal standards.